Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Sad Experiment.

You may remember that I experimented with monoprints some time ago. Under the expert tutelage of artist Andre Stead, I slathered on ink, measured stuff (can't quite remember what, but rulers and pencils and masking tape were involved), flopped down my paper, drew joyously on the back of it, and then rubbed (I think - but what did I use? My hand? A tool? Or perhaps I did not rub at all? It is a mystery to me, as by now the process has disappeared - like a sock - into the dark tumble dryer that is my mind.

So last weekend I experimented by myself, using a glass plate, lino cut ink, and a wooden spoon. It went all squishy on me. 

























Not my proudest moment, although with time I have come to like the two on the right hand side. (A little.) 
So then I thought, when all else fails, RTFM!!! and I googled and landed up with a set of quite clear instructions which involved sanding a perspex plate, painting on liquid soap and letting it dry, then painting the image with poster paint, letting it dry a little, wetting the paper, placing it on top, and rubbing vigorously with the back of a wooden spoon. This was the result:

























Back to Andre, I think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still laughing at your final photo!!

Leenie said...

ooops! heh heh. Sometimes creative genius, as in the first very expressive designs, trumps following directions and reading manuals.

Nicky Linzey said...

I really like the pink and black prints .. but that's just me!