Saturday, September 29, 2012

Vessel #12.

I made this vase at the same time as the bowl. But whereas the sticker experiment failed charmingly on the bowl, the vase had a less happy outcome. Some of the circles chipped off completely in the kiln, others broke off unevenly, and some didn't come off at all. So I painted on dots. I am not quite happy with it yet - it might go through another reincarnation. Perhaps I will use my stash of rusty washers that I pick up on my walks and glue them on. Perhaps I will crochet around it. Perhaps I will let it drop accidentally.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Vessel #11.

This is one of my ceramic experiments that I actually like.
I coiled the bowl, then smoothed it and made holes ...

for stitching onto it, what else?

You know I can't keep away from stitching stuff, don't you?

Friday, September 21, 2012

Vessel(s) #10.

Pinch pots made from black clay. I was quite disappointed when they came out of the kiln after glazing. What I had thought was going to be a beautiful light sea-green glaze, turned almost black, with a few dark-green tinges. In the photo below it looks more blue, but trust me, it is dark green and black.

I stamped the inside with a Tibetan stamp of a flower. Well, that is according to the lady who sold me the stamp. For all I know it may be Indian or Chinese. And maybe it is not a flower but something much more sinister. Anyway.

They are kind of starting to grow on me. Slowly.

Monday, September 17, 2012

Vessel #9.

Yay - my ceramic vessels have all been fired! Some are less successful than others, I have to add. Here is the first one - made in a lovely terracotta clay and glazed with a white slip.

The little round dots you see are the results of a failed experiment - I stuck on round stickers before glazing in the hope that they would burn off and leave perfectly round, terracotta-coloured dots in the white glaze. Not so, I am afraid. They half-peeled off in the kiln, but the glaze prevented them from getting completely dislodged. While this makes for a very nice, arty effect, it results in a non-functional bowl, as the round dots can be chipped off by inserting your nail in the groove. I know it because I tried it. And unfortunately they do not chip off leaving perfectly round terracotta-coloured dots.  So I had to artfully fix the one dot that I spoiled.

I bet you can't even see it! Oh well, maybe you can ...

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Vessel #3 revisited.

I made two of these jute string bowls. I battled to remove the shiny residue left over in the holes, and gave up after various efforts. So I decided to rather weave through the holes. I used black and white "size" ribbon, and the bowls are now called 28" and 33". Great additions to my Wonky series, don't you think?

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Vessel #8.

A quick experiment with cotton gauze. 

Cotton gauze layers with fabric threads suspended between the layers. Stiffened with wall paper glue. It has an organic look to it, and I think one can play with that. This one holds a few favourite semi-precious stones on my bedside table.

I am planning to make a few more, but this time using fabric strips, felt and paper ephemera 
between the layers of gauze. Also, I have experimented with dyeing the gauze to get some interesting effects. 

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Vessel #7.

Crocheted with wool, stiffened with wood glue and painted with craft paint. Then I wove through torn cotton strips. I like the wonkiness of it!