Monday, July 2, 2012

Multiple morphs.

Remember my machine-stitched picture - the lady with the missing earring? It has morphed from this to the one below. Actually, in between, there have been no fewer than six further morphs, and I now wish I had taken photographs of all of them. Alas, I did not. After this one, I painted it all grey. Then a few weeks later I added a gauze bandage as an eye mask, stuck on with acrylic medium. (I think it may have been a subconscious reaction to frustration during the period when I was proofreading extensively and when my eyes were feeling particularly sore and scratchy, hahaha.) Then in an effort to make it look a little better, I added blue and silver paint and a line from this beautiful poem by Pablo Neruda. But quite frankly, the mask looked a little scary, so not long after that I scraped off the mask, and painted over the whole thing with washes of cream paint, building up some areas with gesso. Then a few weeks later, I decided it looked really boring, so I added doodles with a thin black marker all over the (at that stage) cream painting. And finally, some weeks ago, I painted over it, letting some of the doodly bits peek out.

And now I think I am done.

1 comment:

Leenie said...

Heh heh. It WOULD have been fun to see all the stages of creation your masterpiece went through. NEXT time.