Monday, April 30, 2012

A Spotty-breasted Russian Bird.






















Okay, so this is how the story ends:
I had to make her face shorter so I cut off part off the head, which meant that I also had to remove the hair. I had to make her face wider so I used the section that I had intended for the hair on the side of her face as part of the cheeks. I had to make her neck thicker so I inserted panels on the side of her neck. I had to make the neck shorter so I took in about an inch of fabric on the neck. Then I had to cover the head because I couldn't face sewing all the hair back on, plus there was no space left to sew on hair except at the back of her head. So I made her a headscarf, a  Russian-peasant-kind-of look. Then it looked too bland so I stamped the headscarf with fabric paint and a cork. But then  the headscarf looked a bit funny - there was nothing to tie in with it. So I made her boobs spotty too. At this stage I have only pinned on the spots; I wasn't sure I would like them so I didn't want to stamp directly onto the fabric.
So there you have it - a spotty-breasted Russian bird.

































Tell Me How the Story Ends (a fabric bust by Anairam, hand-stitched and embroidered on rooibos-dyed cotton, hand-stamped.)

5 comments:

nathalie et cetera said...

i love it! she makes me smile big time! love the scarf! the bird is very cute too!

Leenie said...

Such very creative and (as I've said before) unique ways of problem solving, Anairam. The Russian Bird for some reason reminds me of the girl who "had" John Lennon in the song.

"And when I awoke I was alone
This bird had flown.
So I lit a fire.
Isn't it good Norwegian wood?"

Linda Sue said...

Love how creativity works to it's own advantage- Your work could not be better! LOVE this It is perfect!

kendalee said...

Brilliant! Can't wait to see her in the flesh (fabric) sooooooonnn!!!

Le 'usband said...

The little bird looks very serious and is saying: Babushka, you need to go for a mammogram.