Monday, May 21, 2012

Draw 1 & 2.

This month I am attending a series of 4 drawing classes. So far I have had two classes, and they have been great. The teachers, Stanley Cohen and Van Zyl la Grange, are really, really good.  I find that I enjoy the process of drawing (apart from starting - which is quite anxiety-provoking). Once started, the process itself is rather hypnotic and before you know it the entire two hours have passed. I have unfortunately fallen into the trap of comparing my work to others in the class. And that is demoralising. The other 'students' all seem to be accomplished draughtsmen.  And indeed, upon inquiring, I found out that some of them are practising artists. They all draw so beautifully! But I am plodding along bravely and doggedly. Where there is a will there is a way and so forth. If I can just stop myself from peeking at the others' drawings, I suspect I will feel much better.

In the first class we had to choose a few objects from a box (I chose an old plug, a bit of wire and a rusted comb-thingie), do a contour drawing with a single line, and then play around with pencils from 3F to 6B to 'colour' in the background, and experiment with pressure and holding the pencil differently.

























In the second lesson we were presented with a section of wet kelp. Again we did a contour drawing. I kept on getting lost between the strands. I would go up one way with my line, and on coming down I would find myself drawing an entirely different strand. We had to choose a section of our line drawing and then colour in using pencils and one or two colours mixed in with the graphite.

























I can already see some improvement, I think ...


















3 comments:

Sarah said...

That drawing of kelp is so interesting to look at. It sounds like a good class. I know what you mean about comparing-it is easy to fall into it. But try not to!

Leenie said...

The thing about art which makes it so different from math and science is there's no one correct outcome. That may be why I like creative things so much. I can just tell anyone who disagrees with me that they don't know what they're talking about.

That being said, I REALLY like the organic design of your kelp drawing. Really a lot. Keep up the good work.

Yes, and try to explain those people on the lawn with boxes and blankets over their heads if they don't know about the eclipse. Heh heh.

Nicky Linzey said...

I agree about starting to draw being anxiety provoking until you actually get into it. Weird! Your kelp drawing is very lovely. Thanks for your invaluable feedback - funny how I have read something so many times and not noticed the errors!