Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Orange ...




I love this poem by Wendy Cope. It is how I feel today.

THE ORANGE
by Wendy Cope

At lunchtime I bought a huge orange
The size of it made us all laugh.
I peeled it and shared it with Robert and Dave—
They got quarters and I had a half.

And that orange it made me so happy,
As ordinary things often do
Just lately. The shopping. A walk in the park
This is peace and contentment. It’s new.

The rest of the day was quite easy.
I did all my jobs on my list
And enjoyed them and had some time over.
I love you. I’m glad I exist.

Wendy Cope, “The Orange” from Serious Concerns. Copyright © 1992 by Wendy Cope.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

i want to go take a walk in the park, do a bit of window shopping too :) seeing all the orange today is beginning to warm me towards the colour i think .

parisa mahmoudi said...

The last series are my favorite!specially the middle one! :)

Chris said...

I love the mosaic, and the poem is perfection. It accurately describes my state of mind lately :)

leszek said...

wow! i love your photos!:)

aimee said...

perfect - all of it! i LOVE orange.

Beverly Ash Gilbert said...

I love your orange note 'there is more orange in my life than I thought'! I think that is true of so many people - perhaps it isn't the really vibrant, saturated orange (that I love), but the deeper, earthier coppers and terracotta...

Anonymous said...

Lovely oranges! I went with mostly yellows today.

I love the buddha on his cell phone....such an oxy moron - isn't it?

kendalee said...

This makes me SO happy to look at Anairam. Not just the colour (which is scrumptious) but the content too. The lace doily thingie with the beads and the windmill are so reminiscent of a bygone age somehow - love them!

And Wendy Cope rocks! Her poetry is so clever and yet so normal. I'm glad you feel like this lately xo

Sharon said...

Love the poem with your lovely pictures.

LifeIsArt said...

Love the poem and the orange pinwheel!

mooi hoor... said...

What a great poem, and a lovely mosaic to go with it!

Sarah said...

I read this at lunchtime today and it made me smile and wish I had an orange to share! Love the pictures also, especially the little monk on a mobile!

Lady P said...

orange is one maybe my all time favorite color - and your photo ensemble inspires
poem is really good as well

Denise Kiggan said...

I love your happy orange day! The poem is delightful and your post-it note says it all! I have so enjoyed focusing on specific colours this week!