Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Arrange.

In keeping with my word-of-the-year, I am still on a roll doing workshops and classes of all shapes and sizes. A few days ago I did a fantastic flower-arranging workshop with talented Belinda Soboil of Bella. Now, I have never been one for flower arranging, in fact, I am not really a flower-kind-of-person at all. And as you all know by now, I can't garden. But when I saw some of Belinda's work with branches, leaves and roots, I just knew that I wanted to do a workshop with her. She specializes in Ikebana, but also comes to your home, looks at what you've got in your garden, finds all kinds of interesting containers in your home (ones you didn't even know you had or had completely forgotten about!) and then shows you how to put together arrangements and where to place them in your home. I was concerned that it might be quite a challenge for her to find anything in my 'garden' - I basically have three trees, four shrubs, a motley assortment of succulents, and lots of gravel. But within a few minutes she had gathered branches, dried clusters of seed pods, and a few succulents. She got my home immediately - simple and unpretentious - and finished almost a dozen arrangements for the living room, bathroom, bedroom and sun room. Some of my favourites:




















































What did I learn? To consider the spaces, to look for balance, to notice the detail, but most importantly, to see the potential ...

5 comments:

nathalie et cetera said...

all I can say is WOW! Love your vases! Everything looks beautiful!

Linda Sue said...

Love especially the unexpected- the aloe in a clear glass, the last one with a round stone- so pleasing!
So much better for your sense of well being than proofing...wouldn't you say!

Sarah said...

I love these-especially the bird and the aloe in the water. I have a dead-I thought-aloe which I suddenly noticed had sprouted two babies-quite big ones so they must have been there for a while-maybe I will do this with them until I get some compost! Have you seen the book 'Bringing Nature Home' by Ngoc Minh Ngo? Also very inspiring.

Nicky Linzey said...

I've been doing a flower arranging class too. Not something I'd normally do but I was talked into it be a friend and I've absolutely loved it - it has made me feel so good as the workshops are totally absorbing.

JAMIE SAYS DREAM said...

wow, that is really inspiring! How fun (but a little scary) to have someone look at your home and resources from a new perspective. I don't have a garden at all, but maybe I can get some branches from the museum park where i work... and I have a little market nearby. I like the laid back feling of the arrangments. My favourites are the last one and number 2.