Monday, August 24, 2009

Happy #6

Other people's junk makes me happy.
Lisa's Happy Week made me so happy that I might do an extra happy post every now and then. As you probably know by now, car boot sales make me very happy. Also charity shops, junk shops, church bazaars - any place where I can view other people's cast-offs and choose some quirky pieces for my home. I love it that these items have a history, and when the history is not known, I make up a story and imagine one. Recently acquired:

This one and the one below date from the 60's I think. They are for keeping dishes warm - you add small tea lights. Found at a local Methodist church white elephant stall.

A small scale - found at Kassia and Figg in Kalk Bay.

This rectangular mirror must have been the side-piece of an old dressing table. I love how the silver on the inside is breaking up at the top. Found at Mix in Prince Albert.

Now just imagine ironing your clothes with this little cast-iron iron. Makes me tired just thinking of it. I'll use it as a door stop rather. Also found at Mix.

12 comments:

Sarah said...

This makes me very happy too! They are all great finds-I love the worn colours of the food warmers. Come and see the stained glass window segment I got yesterday, as well as a free lightbox. (If you have not already seen them that is!)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely collection of finds!!

Linda Sue said...

The food warmers are my favorites! I have never seen anything remotely that cool where we live...I am a junker from way back- though I "catch and release" these days to keep stuff from kicking me out of the house...I am not very successful but am trying. i would not be able to let the food warmers go if I spotted them- they would have to live here. Good finds!
My mother actually used a SAD Iron back in the day- she was so thrilled to have an electric one that she even ironed our undies!

at swim-two-birds said...

I admire your drawings in the previous post, very inspiring!
and the dish-warmers are looking great :-)

Anonymous said...

i covet your doorstop!
i went to amsterdam with one goal - to buy something old, something with a real and lasting hint of amsterdam.
i don't know why something new wouldn't have felt as real.

Anonymous said...

The food warmers are awesome!!!..love these little designs on them, the shapes and colors...and the fact that they can be transformed to something else...don't you? I'm sureyou do...
I'm curious about 'my home is here' project..hope you'll post it soon.
XOXO

aimee said...

i would love to see your home, anairam!

Lady P said...

oh those spots make me exceedlingly happy as well!! just today i got a vintage cream and orange colman cooler ( a petite han carry one) entitled " the little oscar"! mae my morning!

Denise Kiggan said...

I agree, I agree, I agree! I can just feel myself reeeelaaaax and get excited all at the same time when I am in the middle of other people's junk!

Wildflower Studio (Michelle Dransart) said...

I love the vintage iron! WE used to have one that was hollow so you could put hot coals inside, and we used it as a doorstop growing up.

Relyn Lawson said...

Oh, I do like your taste in "junk".

yoon see said...

Some love junk, some love modern stuff.
I guess you love something zen, oriental, very minimal colour stuff.
I also love this style.
You really have a great taste.
Thanks for sharing!