Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Bad Copies

I love art. And I love going to art exhibitions. As a result, I have collected a box full of exhibition invitations, and I simply can't get rid of them. I can always use them in collage projects, art pages, to make cards, and so forth, I reason. So a few days ago I had a brilliant idea for a journal project: at the same time as reminding myself of our local artists (and introducing you to them), I can also practise my drawing skills. I have decided to
a) do my own interpretation, rather than trying to make an exact copy, and to delete or add bits as I wish,
b) spend no more than 5 - 15 minutes on a drawing, and
c) use only pen and colouring pencils.

I have called the journal "bad copies".

Herewith the first three entries:

Bad Copies #1 (of paintings by Mary Visser, from the Nocturnes exhibition).

Bad Copies #2 (of painting by Lizza Littlewort, from the exhibition How did Lizza meet Jake Chapman?)

Bad Copies #3 (of painting by Timothy Zantsi, from Timothy Zantsi - Solo Exhibition)

12 comments:

Sarah said...

oh too modest! Good copies and another good idea!

Leenie said...

I really like your new journal.

Feed the well of creativity with sensory experiences—sight, sound, smell, taste, touch. These are the elements of magic, and magic is the elemental stuff of art. Think mystery not mastery. Author Unknown.

Reproducing what you see helps you appreciate and remember better the work.

Linda Sue said...

Your copies are better than the originals and I am not just saying that- My copies are better also I think that it may be that the copies are not perfect- makes them more accessable. Although most people say to me "oh you copied? you shouldn't have..." Or they just go "hmmmmm", which is clearly disaproval.
Your book is clever as usual, and a joy to see!

Anonymous said...

I love it - you are so clever!!

aimee said...

oh geez - i love your sense of humor! what a fun, clever, interesting way to practice your drawing skills - i may have to try my hand at this! and as usual you do NOT give yourself enough credit!

nathalie et cetera said...

I'm always impressed by your creativity. The second one is fabulous!

Denise Kiggan said...

A fun exercise! I like the time limit you set - really forces your creative talent to react quickly.

Kaylovesvintage said...

wonderful idea

shannon said...

this is SUCH a great idea! super fun and i'm really excited to give it a try. i love how you put them all in a book together. thanks for the inspiration!

e said...

love them! i will have to try this!

lisa said...

brilliant idea my friend! I'm partial to your renditions...I like your drawing and I like that it's over the text. beautiful!

Jesse said...

This is great idea! I must start doing something like this too - thank you for the inspiration!