Monday, December 7, 2009

What Anairam Found

Saturday was the last car boot sale of the year. And the next one is only in February! How to bear it??
Anyway, this time I got a few lovely bits and pieces ...

A lappie - intended to be sewn onto a cushion cover, and two mini-books (7x9 cm) with photographs of London - published by Valentine and Sons Ltd.

A tiny polar bear - just in case they all really do disappear. It is planning to take a walk across Westminster Bridge to the Houses of Parliament. What will it say, I wonder?

These two miniature plastic figurines - Japanese warriors? The lamp and umbrella can both move!

This book - not to read, but for the cover. I think I have mentioned before that I collect book jackets - preferably 1950's and older.

Inside I found this old Cape Tramways ticket ...

My best buy - a tiny carving of a deer - the legs and even hooves are beautifully detailed. I think it is bone and am thinking of making a necklace with it.
And lastly ...





... a small book called Bedside Book of Discoveries with these (and more!) beautiful wood engravings by Hellmuth Weissenborn.

9 comments:

Leenie said...

Anairam! You found excellent treasures. I especially like the little bone carving. It will make a fine locket. I like the black and white illustrations as well. If an artist can't make it work in one color, adding more colors won't help. We have "yard sales" here but most of the time all that can be found are old baby clothes and broken furniture. Smiles for your day. :)

Linda Sue said...

What a fun find day! I guess the polar bears are all extinct- Pandas have taken their place- Pandas belong in Parliment, they are peaceful and sleepy...The small book of discoveries is a treasure- you will have fun with that I am supposing...I love to take compromised old funky books apart and stick them where they do not belong.A visual jolt for those who wander about in a haze.
I agree Santa is a scary dude!

Anairam said...

A panda??!! Oh no! I thought it was a polar bear with leggings and mascara!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful purchases. If you don't have any more car boot sales until next year ... don't you have charity shops to buy things to recycle?

Le 'usband said...

The Panda says: "I don't pander to the needs of Polar Bears - let them go extinct!"

aimee said...

i was thinking europe for my next overseas venture, but now i'm thinking south africa. i need to get to one of these car boot sales!

kendalee said...

Oh what great treasures! You have an excellent eye for scouting them out. I love the little bear on his way to parliament, the book of discoveries (gorgeous illustrations, do they have stories attached?) and that little carving, which is exquisite - I agree it'd make a beautiful necklace! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Also the Anthropologie inspired ones you make with the shells you picked up recently... :)

at swim-two-birds said...

wow that bear in front of the parliament is super!
very nice findings:)

Sarah said...

Lovely finds Anairam! You might like this.
.http://gracialouise.typepad.com/high_up_in_the_trees/2009/12/pore-over.html