Wednesday, September 1, 2010

New Acquisitions #13

I don't usually put food on my list of new acquisitions, but this is an experiment. I am no gardener, but I would love to grow my own food. At least some of it. So I bought some lettuce plants, coriander and basil - I hope to soon be making my salads fresh from my garden!
























It will be interesting to see if they survive the fresh sea breeze here. And more importantly,  the stormwinds! And did I mention the army of snails that has made my garden its operational headquarters?

9 comments:

Denise Kiggan said...

I am not a great gardener either, but 1 year we did grow the most amazing basil! I really should try it again.
All the best with your vegies.

Leenie said...

That looks like a fun project. Next you can grow trees to block out the view of your annoying neighbor and annoy him back.

I grew thyme this summer. It was called "creeping thyme." It grew all over the stone pathway. I've got so much thyme on my hands I don't know what to do!

Linda Sue said...

Just yesterday i listened t NPR re: snails...if your garden is healthy they will not bother healthy plants - they are eaters of dead leaves or leaves that are not doing well...Slugs are a different matter entirely- we trap them in bowls of beer.Maybe African snails are less discriminating and will slime the lot...don't know. Good luck with your little garden- we are head head first into weather here! POOP!

Anonymous said...

I grow basil in a pot on my kitchen windowsill. I used to grow veggies, but we have a much smaller garden here, and now that Malcolm has taken over the gardening, he isn't much interested in veggies.

Nicky Linzey said...

Nothing tastes nicer than food you've grown yourself!

Anonymous said...

How about snails in garlic butter?

Belle Fleur de Lis - Lotte Janssens said...

good luck with it !

arcadia said...

How are they holding up?

Marie said...

Good for you. They just need sun sun sun. And water :-)