Monday, October 20, 2008

Paper Doll Fashion!

I had such fun yesterday - I worked on the second-last of my paper projects - a paper doll! I also designed some clothes for her.
First the drawing in pencil. Okay, she is a bit out of proportion and her feet are weird - but, hey, that's life in Paper Doll World.

Then I went over her with a permanent marker and erased all those pencil lines. I gave her some red lipstick and red toenails (which you can't see in the picture).

Ready to be a designer! Only now I realised that I needed a template to make her clothes - so I traced her and made a dummy - headless - as I guess all dummies are ...

I haven't yet cut her out - I must first paste her on something a little more hardy, but here are her clothes so far ...

3/4 pants and a swish little shirt ...

The 3/4 pants with a long top to match.

The swish little top with 70's inspired bell-bottom pants ...

Oh dear, her evening dress looks a little funny. I was inspired by Julianne Moore's dress as seen on stylish Karina's el beso blog, and it actually started off looking quite elegant, but then I thought that it needed a bit more festiveness to it, so I added colour (pink) and glitz (silver glitter). Julianne would not approve ... Also, I cut the arms too wide, so her boob was exposed, and I couldn't have that, could I? So I had to stick on bits at the sides which now look rather odd. I wonder whether Lacroix ever does that?
I am already busy designing a tango outfit for her. But she needs a name first - something French - what do you think?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm the first to comment! uhmmm... well, I'm not a dolly person but I think it would be nice if the outfits had real material stuck onto them.
And she could be Simone (Signoret, de Beauvoir) or Amelie.

My Castle in Spain said...

So cute !! on the contrary, i love the fact that her clothes are made with paper.. it makes it more interesting..
:-)

evencleveland said...

What a great way to spend the day.

Maybe Mirabelle?

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic, I love the whole paper idea! :)

ofifteen
'designing your life'
http://ofifteenblog.blogspot.com

Linda Sue said...

LOVED paper dolls since I was little- this one is adorable- so fun! I want to do this when I have time- How tall is she? I think that this could be a hip happenin' thing! Brilliant!

Jennifer said...

very funny post.
and fun project.

Denise Kiggan said...

I am still loving your paper series! Who would have thought - paper dolls! Love her designer clothes!

Anairam said...

anonyMouse - Thanks for the suggestions! I will probably stick with paper, it is less messy and less work. (I am quite lazy.) I must say I like your suggestion of Amelie! Then I can make her a little Zorro suit and a garden gnome to carry under her arm.

m.c.i.s. - I am glad that you think she is cute! Yep, I will stick with paper (see above).

stephanie - Mmmmm, I like Mirabelle! It has just the right combination of whimsy and Frenchness and elegance and cuteness ...

ofifteen - Thanks vir visiting! Yes, I love paper projects! Next I'm going to do some fabric projects, which should be great fun, as I can't sew ...

linda sue - So did I! Do kids still play with them? I never see them around shops any more ... She is about 41 cm tall. Hey, I like the idea of a hip happenin' thing! Maybe we can start a Paper Doll Revolution or something ...

editor - It was a fun project!!(Still is - I have just made her a little paper tango hat...) But I hope my soon-to-be-christened Paper Doll is going to be taken seriously and not be made fun of! She might just cry sad little paper tears ...

freshly found - The paper series is almost done - only the paper cutout to go (the decal I wanted to make, on closer inspection revealed itself to be a fabric project ...). So glad you enjoy them!

Unknown said...

i love it!
as I love magnets I would past it in a magnet and put them in my fridge and change the outfits every day.
I used to have a Barbie in my fridge but that doll of yours is more beautiful,interesting and sophisticated.
I like Malena.
Malena canta el tango como ninguna y en cada verso pone su corazón. ... Malena canta el tango con voz de sombra, Malena tiene pena de bandoneón....

kendalee said...

Oh she is FAB!!!

I was going to suggest Maiya (based on the goddess of Spring and - I believe - the French spelling of Maia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maia_(mythology)) but I also like Amelie, Mirabelle and Malena as suggested by the others! Definitely something with a strong 'Em' sound...

I LOVE those snazzy bell-bottoms and can't wait to see her Tango outfit!

Anairam said...

karina - That is a great idea - a Paper Doll fridge magnet! And I like your suggestion for a name - Malena - oh my goodness, I Babelfished a translation for the Spanish you wrote - it is beautiful!!!
kendalee - Oh, I love your spring suggestion of Maiya too! What to do, what to do ... I think I will have a little draw and post the result over the weekend. As long as no-one tells her that she got her name through a lucky draw - poor, poor thing...

Esti said...

i'll stick with maelna as the name too!
:)

Anairam said...

esti - Another Malena! (and tango dancer perhaps?) I will seriously have to consider it then!

Unknown said...

Those are some pretty bling trousers mademoiselle papier has got going on there! So exciting. I tried to do a paper doll a while ago, after your posting, but got stressed with the cutting, I need to try again now!

Jesse said...

I love paper dolls - I constantly think about making one... you've inspired me. I can live out all my textile design fantasies on a small scale! I love the plain short dress.

Anairam said...

heather - Oh, I want to see it when it is finished! (I wonder if paper dolls care about being called "it"?)
jezze - I am so glad that I inspired you! (In turn, I was inspired by the paper doll that stephanie of evencleveland made.) Are you going to use real fabric for the clothes? Please post yours when you've made it!