Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Projects!

I have been collecting pictures of things I want to make (or try to make) from various blogs. Here are eight that I want to try in the next few weeks. They all have to do with paper and/or words in some or other way. I've chosen ones that look fairly easy, as we have already established that I am not the sharpest little X-Acto in the drawer when it comes to handwork and crafts. (Unfortunately, like a Very Irresponsible Student doing her first research project, I have neglected to keep proper notes and references for all of them. Oops. For this I will be sent to detention and forced to write out 1000 times: Good Bloggers File Sources with Pictures.)
#1
This one is a starched decal project from How About Orange - I don't really like the flower in the example, but I think it would be cool to do an & on my study door ...
#2
I can't wait to do this one - I love anything to do with words. But where am I going to get a wire hanger? I threw all of mine out after Joan Crawford appeared to me in a nightmare screaming: "No wire hangers, EVER!"
#3
I like this heart - I think it will make a cute Valentine's card. A bit early, maybe, but still. And it comes with instructions so it will be easy peasy! Not to be over-confident, but I am a girl who can fold an origami bird that can flap its wings, okay ...
#4
These are from More Ways To Waste Time. I love mobiles, and they look simple enough to make.
#5
After my experience with book folding, which was actually quite successful, if I may say so myself, I think these paper vases are just the thing to try - I may want to hang them from the ceiling though. I'm pretty sure I saw this or something similar on Freshly Found?
#6

I've been wanting to make a paper doll since I've seen Ms Enid Agnes Boynton on Stephanie's great blog even*cleveland. Okay, my drawing skills leave much to be desired, but I think it could work. I think I will dress mine in tiny little Lacroix paper outfits.
#7
This paper cutout was done by Heather of A Bucketful of Heather. It is so pretty, and I would really like to do something similar.
#8
I think this project will be fun. A bit more advanced than the others, but really, how difficult can it be? Some paper and some blobs of glue, as far as I can see ... (I do worry a bit when I look at the birds, though - it seems that sewing is involved?)
I will keep you updated on my progress, and will post the results, even if they turn out to be Flops.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are very ambitious. i looks forward to your projects. from here. where i'm sitting. unproductively.

evencleveland said...

Aw - thanks for including Enid in such an amazing round up. Holy moly, I want to peek in your projects folder! So much good stuff - I love that wire hanger project (Mommy Dearest or not). Those mobiles are to die for, too.

Looks like you have some busy months ahead : )

Do you have one these? http://www.misterart.com/store/view/003/group_id/2552/X-acto-No-9RX-Pocket-Clip-Retractable-Knife.htm

I can honestly say it has changed my life!

Unknown said...

Woo, I got my paper thing in there! I'm so pleased~

I want to make paper dolls so badly now. I was my favourite thing to do when I was little, ahh memories...

Anairam said...

up and down town - Unproductively? I don't think so! Anyway, I've already done the heart - and it looks goooooooooood!
stephanie - Enid is a great girl. Of course, in true anairam style, I've now become stuck on finding a name for my paper doll. Maybe I should rather worry about how on earth I am going to draw a doll and some fancy clothes, than agonize about finding the perfect name... (Thanks for the link to the X-acto - it looks really cool! I must check if they are available here. For the moment I'll just use scissors and an old craft knife thingie I have.
heather - Ever since you showed that on your blog I've been wanting to make something like it. (Did you do more cutting out in the end? And what did you do with the final product?)

kendalee said...

I love each and every one of these! 'Specially the mobiles - I've always had a thing for mobiles. I can't wait to see your interpretation of these projects! And I might nick a few of the ideas to try myself, if you don't mind? :o)

Denise Kiggan said...

Looking forward to seeing the outcome of all this hard work. What fun!

Unknown said...

I never got round to finishing it, I will though because it looks suspiciously like a doily at the moment. I've done a couple of these before and I just backed them with some coloured paper and chucked them in an ikea frame. I lack delicacy with these things, but it does the job. I like the idea of backing them with fabric, though, to get a bit of pattern & texture in there. I'm sure someone else could come up with something more original and clever. You, perhaps?