Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Chaos that is Me ...

I have a workroom. At some point it was called a study, but not much studying goes on anymore, so now it is just a workroom. It also doubles as my office, the laundry and a guest room. It gets messy very quickly. At the moment my desk houses my laptop, my scanner, stationery, various art materials, books, journals and correspondence, and filing that needs to be done. Oh, and some ironed laundry on the chair.

So when the desk becomes a bit crowded, some of the stuff gets shifted onto the floor next to my desk. Like magazines, boxes of pictures for collages, dictionaries for proofreading and editing jobs, baskets of clippings. Oh well, my second inspiration board takes care of six of the 7,834 pictures that I've collected. Yay. And look, on the bottom right are the (still wrapped) foldable cardboard storage boxes I bought to bring some order. Four months ago.

Of course, there is always my trusty old bookcase to take care of books.
Oops. I guess not ...

(The other six, scattered elsewhere in the house, are also overflowing.)
But wait! There is still some space on the sleeper couch, which I have cleverly converted into more workspace, by balancing a wooden board over the two edges. Yay, now I have space for my sewing machine and for extra books below. And the iron! Oh, yippee, I have found my old CD player! I was wondering where it was.
And all I really want is a workspace that looks like this:

And this ...
(From Marie Claire Idees, found via poppytalk)

6 comments:

evencleveland said...

So cute - it's always hard, balancing the real way we work with the ideal way we think we should work. I always have a sneaking suspicion that after those fancy photos are snapped, the owner comes back and snows everything over with clutter!

kendalee said...

This made me laugh out loud! I can sooooo relate to the clutter vs. the ideal that I see in photographs and that I continue to imagine I'm (oneday) going to create. Oh well, we need to have something to aspire to, and a challenge... It makes us better people I'm told. Err, ok. I'll go with that.

Anairam said...

stephanie - I so think your suspicion is correct!
kendalee - I do sometimes clear up the clutter, especially when I have guests ;)

Anonymous said...

Your deskshelfcouch is just brilliant. Better than anything Haldane Martin or Philipe Starck could design. Now to get rid of those pesky guests who want to stay overnight...

Anairam said...

anonymous - oh ho ho! Why do I think I know who you are? My darlings, you are always welcome - for you the clutter disappears magically!!

Anonymous said...

Love this post! Thank you - real life versus magazine life. I have some pictures of my studio right after it was whipped into mercy but I have to admit I have fallen off the organization wagon a while back and need to get with it.