Monday, April 20, 2009

At 2 a.m.

When you wake up at 2 a.m. this is a good thing to do:

Then make a garland from them and string it across your kitchen window.

If they look like this, fear not! They have not magically (and rather sadly) lost their colour, no you dummy, it is because you have taken the photograph against the light.

I made stacks more - I am thinking of using them to pelt passersby from my window - hahaha!
To make them, see here.

Little Boxes (music & lyrics by Malvina Reynolds)
Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes made of ticky tacky,
Little boxes on the hillside,
Little boxes all the same.
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.

And the people in the houses
All went to the university,
Where they were put in boxes
And they came out all the same,
And there's doctors and lawyers,
And business executives,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.

And they all play on the golf course
And drink their martinis dry,
And they all have pretty children
And the children go to school,
And the children go to summer camp
And then to the university,
Where they are put in boxes
And they come out all the same.

And the boys go into business
And marry and raise a family
In boxes made of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.

7 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Oh dear anairam, I have tried origami but it gets so complicated after the initial fold...I can only fold things in half and even that gives me trouble. I have always loved the cubes, especially with lights in them but can I do it...no. 2:00 am is an odd witching hour- a worry hour- I will take your worries and drop them in a canal when I go - FRIDAY! Or let them fly from the plane into the deep....gone, they will be.

kendalee said...

Your awake-in-the-early-hours time is SO much more productively spent that mine!! I'm going to give these little boxes a go... I like the thought of stringing them like this. They look lovely at your kitchen window - even in silhouette - and I was thinking they might work well for an island wedding I'm due to attend later this year...

Denise Kiggan said...

Love your middle of the night creativity!
What a wonderful way for passersby to be pelted!!

aimee said...

OH OH OH! how did you make these?

eilandkind/islandchild said...

I like your little boxes.

An English friend told me the history of that song about 3 years ago, when I lived in England.
It is amazing how something that you grew up with can suddenly become new.

●• Thereza said...

aww these are sooo cute!

Anairam said...

linda sue - These boxes are very easy to fold, we used to call them water bombs (you can pour water into the little hole at the top - quite a messy exercise but loads of fun when you are a child). Oh, I have a whole suitcase full of worries that you can take along to ditch in a canal - thanks for the kind offer!

kendalee - If you have nice paper they look really pretty as a garland - and they are very addcitive to fold! You can have a party before the wedding and make every guest fold at least 20!

freshly found - Usually I don't get up, I'm such a lazybones - but I'm going to train myself to do it - you can actually get quite a lot done in two or three sleepless hours, rather than roll around agonising about stuff you can't change anyway!

aimee - There is a link - they are really simple - also for kids. I've in the meantime done stacks more - just of white and black print pages - they look quite cool heaped in a bowl!

eilandkind - I read the story on Wikipedia!

tiny red - For some or other reason I am quite drawn to the things I made as a kid - kind of rediscovering them ...