Tuesday, April 21, 2009

X

Tomorrow South Africa will have its fourth democratic election. I can still remember the euphoria of that first 1994 election - how proud and hopeful we all were! And I guess we have been doing okay over the last 15 years, and we have much to celebrate and be thankful for. But there are many worries and concerns, and tomorrow I will not be voting for the party I have supported since 1994. They have disappointed me. In a few hours I will be walking down the hill to vote, and at the moment I feel a bit like this ...

L'Usband says that choosing between political parties is like having to choose between bad apples - you have to choose the one with the fewest worms. I suppose that is true wherever one lives ...

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Well I hope you can decide before tomorrow. I had the same problem in our last general election and voted for a different party. Next time I just don't know. I have always voted and think that is the right thing to do but it is difficult when the choices are so poor. Your husband has a point!

aimee said...

yes, i suppose the 'fewest worms' theory is universal! congratulations on your fourth democratic election - that's something to celebrate!

kendalee said...

Very good way of putting it!!! It's hard to remain optimistic under those circumstances isn't it? However, just the fact that we can now participate in an election that everyone else is involved, is still on balance a better thing I believe. I just try to remember this... Hope all went well on the day.

Anairam said...

sarah, aimee, kendalee - Yes, it went well, all things considered ... We are very lucky to have a voting station just down the hill from our house - a 2-minute walk. Only a short queue & wait, and everything was very well run. I had planned a little protest action (oh, very minor, don't worry ...) which backfired on me in a very embarrassing way. But that is a story for another day. (I should really take life more seriously and not want to make a joke of everything...)