Friday, April 17, 2009

Long overdue ...


Some very nice bloggers have given me some very nice awards/tags recently (my definition of recently is very flexible) - the wonderful poet Khaled KEM gave me a Fabulous Blogger award, Jesse, she of the amazing tea towels and fantastic drawings, gave me a Kreativ Blogger award, Anjie of Pompom Emporium whom I met during the TAD challenge, and who makes all kinds of lovely goodies, most recently a lemon drizzle cake, yum, gave me a Fabulous Blogger award and now Lynne (who has a clothing store in CT which I will have to visit soon!) has also given me a Kreativ Blogger. Wow, I feel quite overcome, thank you all very, very much!

I have to list 7 things (but I'm going to make it 8) I love (or are addicted to), so, here goes ...
1. Coffee. First thing in the morning. Especially Woollies' Italian blend, plunged in my plunger. For a cup out, definitely vida e caffe or Seattle Coffee shop
2. Car boot sales. I am addicted. Especially our local one where I always manage to find some quirky, amazing bit of junk.
3. Reading. Love a good book. Just love it! Just finished José Saramago's the History of the Siege of Lisbon and Kate Atkinson's One Good Turn, almost finished with The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, halfway with North and South (Elizabeth Gaskell). I have to read two or three books simultaneously ... not sure why ...
4. Movies. What can I say? I obviously have a desire to live other lives vicariously through books or movies. Last night I finished the mini-series, The Line of Beauty, based on the Alan Hollinghurst novel. It was jolly good, if somewhat depressing. Have also recently finished the BBC series Cranford, as well as North and South, and Wives and Daughters (all based on Elizabeth Gaskell books). They were all fantastic. North and South just has the most romantic kiss on a station platform, oh, I shiver just thinking of it ...
5. The view from our living room across the bay to Simon's Town. It never fails to uplift me.
6. Making things. Or thinking of making things.
7. Synchronicity and discovering unexpected connections.
8. L'Usband. Always.

If you've read through this list, you're tagged!

16 comments:

Jesse said...

Nice list! 'Coffee' makes you a bit of a non-conformist - tea has been featuring surprisingly often on these lists ;)

aimee said...

what is a car boot sale??

Anjie said...

Cranford such a good choice. The acting was compelling, the attention to period detail was fantastic. I love a car boot too, you never know what gems you will find. One persons junk is another persons treasure

Linda Sue said...

ditto- your list except for the husband- your husband is not my favorite only because I don't know him and he is your husband not mine- mine is another story...I just had my third cup of coffee freshly ground, filtered through Melita- delicious , satisfying. I am sending you two awards as well, the Go-get-a-puppy- award and the blow-up-the-neighbors- house award...I was going to send the sabbotage-the-proof-reading award but I realize that is something you might depend on for toast, teaand coffee supplies, I will send that one elsewhere. I will be in the air this time next week! yahoo! I will pick up some pretty Venezian paper from the oldest paper shoppe in the world- I will share it with you- we will create amazing things!Cheers! Help keep my palne in the air with lofty thoughts!
xxxxooooo

Linda Sue said...

Scusi- that is keep my plane in the air not "palne" I don't know what palne is but it should not be in the air...

kendalee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kendalee said...

kendalee said...
Lovely list and congrats on the awards - well deserved every one!!! I hope you don't mind my hijacking your comment space for a moment but it's an appropriate forum because I am hereby giving Linda Sue the funniest-commenter-in-the-universe award! She just made me spray tea through my nose and believe me, that doesn't happen easily but she manages it time and again.

Have a lovely weekend!

Esti said...

ha, ha... I like reading and smiling at what your commenters say...

..... said...

great blog

Le 'usband said...

Phew! Just made it! Up from number 10 ...

Sarah said...

Congratulations on your well deserved awards! I liked that series. I have the book but have not read it yet. I enjoyed your list! Have you done anything with those frames yet?

Sarah said...

Oh-poor aimee-not to know the joy of a car boot!

Anairam said...

jesse - Oh, non-conformist is my middle name!

aimee - Well, a car boot sale is when people pack their car's boot with all the junk they want to get rid of, and then park it at some predetermined spot so that you can go and buy their junk (mostly they buy each other's junk). These days most people have trestle tables on which they display their wares, making it a bit easier for their customers ... they are great fun!

anjie - A very good friend sent me the Cranford series - I have already watched it three times!

linda sue - Thanks so much for my great awards - I am displaying the neighbour one (accompanied by an appropriate scowl) on my window sill! Aaaah, my lofty thoughts will keep thy plane and they palne up in the air! Have great fun in Venice!

kendalee - I so agree! Linda Sue is hereby formally declared winner of the FCITU award!

esti - I love reading comments on blogs... (Now I must just learn Spanish so I can understand all the comments on your blog!)

MR Style - thanks for visiting! Am going to hop over to your blog just now!

le'usband - well, if you do the right things I will move you up to number 5 ...

sarah - Oh dear, the frames are sitting in their box, probably for many weeks (months?) still to come. I am quite busy with work at the 'mo ...

Hello Again said...

fantastic list!

you wanted to know where the shop is - it is in Bloem street in Town, next to Jardine Bakery. (no44).

Anairam said...

lynne - Thanks for that address. Next time I'm in town I'll pop in. Unfortunately I am not in town often, I sometimes feel (and act) as if Simon's Town is on the other side of the world. Going "to town" is like going away for a weekend, involving packing and planning ...

Denise Kiggan said...

I am so with you on the coffee, husband, car boot sales [or Charity shops], Making things, - but not the book reading or movies. I fear that if I start either of these I wont stop and there will be no time for thinking of making things!
PS
We had some friends around who used to live in Ghana. I presented them with the Ghana Electricity Co Cushion cover like the one I sent you. They said that officials of the company probably have shirts made out of the fabric and would wear them with pride to official functions!