Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Story of a Dress

A few weeks ago I visited a vintage shop in Simon's Town. Akimbo is a vintage lover's dream - great pieces, carefully selected (and sometimes adapted cleverly) by the owner. My eye immediately fell on this dress - 50's I thought, fitted perfectly, and although I very seldom wear green, I loved the green and grey gingham print...



Well, I suppose any fool can see it is a school uniform - but I didn't! Until someone said: "Gee, Anairam, that looks rather like a school uniform, doesn't it?"

So I guess I'd better not wear it with my black pinstripe blazer and mary-janes.

Do you think it will be more acceptable with my knitted wool coat and boots?

... or maybe when it is colder, like this? (That is a beret, by the way, and not supposed to be a depiction of my face.)

Hmmmm, rather a difficult one, this. But if I decide to keep it and not ditch it, I am definitely going to wear it with my Prefect (I mean Perfect) badge - by clever designer Tarien Malherbe (picked up at Design Indaba).

(Any SA readers who recognise the school dress, please let me know which school and where it is situated!)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my god that dress is so pretty! It little belty thing with the button on, the pleats at the shoulder, gosh! I literally would wear it with a blazer and white ankle socks. But there you go, I do like going with the whole 'look'. And perhaps it helps that I'm 16...

Anyway, in all, I am jealous! Of all the clothes in this post, actually. SHINY BOOTS!

Sarah said...

A perfect post! I like the dress-lovely colours as you say-you will look good in any of these ways I am sure! You could also try a long sleeved t-shirt underneath and wearing it over trousers or jeans. (Though I am a risky person to take fashion advice from I think!)
I agreed with all you said about blogging the other day too.

Renee said...

What a wonderful blog you have. I am so happy to find it.

I say keep it.

Renee xoxox

aimee said...

now this is cool! i'd wear the dress alone, since it doesn't look like a school uniform in this part of the world (here uniforms are all navy or khaki - ugh - i refused to go to any school that required a uniform) but i absolutely love the ensemble you fashioned out of the items in the last photo. marvelous work, my dear! wear it with pride and a big smile.

Denise Kiggan said...

What a delightful post! You must wear it - especially with that badge!

kendalee said...

Jeesh my school uniform never looked as cool as that although it did have the green and grey in common with it! You should SO keep it and wear it. I love the combo at the bottom... very stylish. And that badge - brilliant! Great finds all 'round.

Jolie said...

Green and grey gingham print looks so sweet and loveable on any dress.

Esti said...

It doesn't look like a school uniform to me... I guess they're different around here...
You should wear it anyway. it's nice.

Jesse said...

It's lovely fabric! The blazer and mary-janes made me laugh... But over jeans, with a cardigan, it would be perfect. (And yes, I did type 'prefect' the first time).

I'll have to visit this shop, if that's any indication of what can be found there.

lisa said...

I love the little dress with all the props, but I especially love it by itself. it's very sweet. and I love that the store is named akimbo...that's one of my favorite words. does it translate?

Lady P said...

Ohhh - I love a good vintage dress! I collect them myself. I love how you have it hanging up in the doorway (I am trying to peak beyond to see your digs!) I say, definitely keep it and wear a cool brooch and maybe some nice bright flat shoes - you won't look like a school girl at all!