Thursday, January 8, 2009

Happiness ...

Today was another glorious day - I went to see The Band's Visit - an Israeli film about an Egyptian police band who get stranded in a godforsaken little town in Israel. It is a lovely movie - probably the best picture I've seen in the past 12 months. If you're into quiet films about human interaction and its capacity to change us in subtle ways, please go and see it!

But the best part of the day was arriving home and finding a thick envelope in my mail box - not the horrible kind containing tax forms, or documents from your investment broker showing you that your little nest egg is now almost non-existent, but the GOOD kind, containing lots of delicious inspirational bits and pieces, from a lovely friend who lives 20 inches away!

The generous-spirited Linda Sue sent me a whole pack of goodies for use with my journals and crafting - a beautiful Happiness card ...

A sweet embroidered lappie - I am going to put it on my dressing table ...

... and lots of the most delicious vintage ephemera - an old library catalogue card, book pages of various types, vintage luggage tags, claim tickets, admittance tickets, pictures and playing cards! (Thanks to the page from an old French grammar book I can now say, "Linda Sue, je suis heureux de vous voir", but oh bother, I want to replace 'voir' with the verb for 'know', and that page is missing ... and I want to say "very, VERY heureux" ...)

This little bad karma cure-all manual - to send to the publishers, she says. (But I'm keeping it, being in dire need of it having inadvertently crushed a snail while gardening yesterday.)

... and this sweet little card - Linda Sue says it's a price tag. My goodness, that is one artistic price tag - I would have bought the item just to get the tag! And I love the picture of the little girl - it actually reminds me of myself when I was little - blond hair in a funny bob, and the bow! Oh, that bow! My mom was Applicator-of-Huge-Ribbon-Bows-in-Hair Supreme...)

Linda Sue even thought of Mirabelle and sent her some miniature money - good thing too, as Mirabelle is quite annoyed with me at the moment - I forgot her in the box over Xmas, and I mislaid all her outfits, except for the top of her pant suit. So she tootled off to The Space, Linda Sue's gift clutched in her grubby little paws, to do some clothes shopping ...

Thank you so much, dear Linda Sue, from the depths of our hearts (even though one of them is a little paper heart....) I am going to have a great deal of fun using these!

5 comments:

Linda Sue said...

So glad it finally arrived- I was becoming angry with the postal workers in the little gas station from where it was sent. I was going to boycott them, which is a drag because it is just down the street...convenience, you understand.
Sorry about the devalued dollar- paper dresses don't grow on trees, I hope that she can find something decent!
I put those price tags on my pincushions- get it? & SEW? No two were alike.
So pleased that you liked such a hodge podge packet of this and that- YAY! So glad it finally arrived! YAY!

Quail said...

Fra(a)iing - You've been tagged! Come and visit and join the fun!

Denise Kiggan said...

What a Delight! There's nothing nicer than opening a package and especially when SO much comes out of it!!

Unknown said...

You lucky beastie! That happiness card, in particular, is absolutely gooorgeous!

Anairam said...

linda sue - I was also wondering about it - here we have a little problem of P.O. employees doing their xmas shopping in the sorting room - so I was so happy to get in in my mailbox! (Apparently all packages were delayed over the xmas period.) But is SO lovely and I cannot wait to do some art journalling incorporating some of these!

quail - Hey, I missed that! And have now responded to the challenge!

freshly found - I absolutely love paper ephemera - am going to do something with them soon!

heather - Oh, I am a lucky beastie indeed! Yay! Paper! Yay!