Friday, January 9, 2009

Seven things

I've been tagged by the talented quail (who has designed a funky & beautiful new shirt and kimono top - have a look here and here) to reveal 7 facts about myself. Oh dear. I am such a boring person - it might be rather difficult. Oh. I see. They do not have to be 7 interesting facts - that makes it a little easier then ...
1) I wear nail polish on my toenails 98.7% of the time. Okay, I made that number up. Let's just say most of the time. At the same time I never wear nail polish on my fingernails - I cannot bear the feel of it - too horrible for words ...
2) I saw 179 movies last year - I keep a list and I counted. Probably more because I do not write it down if it was a really trashy movie. On the other hand, I only read 73 books in 2008. That bothers me.
3) I am addicted to hotwater bottles. Even now, in our summer, I sometimes sit with a hotwater bottle. I always sleep with one. I've taken my hotwater bottle to the movies, theatre, opera and restaurants. I have four.

I may get more. I think it would be a nice idea to design an elegant hotwater bottle with a kind of strap thingy so you can just sling it over your shoulder and take it anywhere - like a handbag. You may laugh but I think it is a great business idea.
4) I once clambered over the receptionist's counter at the five-star Mount Nelson hotel and attempted to wrestle the phone from the sarky male receptionist. It is a long (and actually quite horrible) story.
5) I have a beauty spot - a fake one, I mean - which I wear when I feel the need for a little drama in my life. I wear it on different places on my face, which people seem to find very disconcerting.
6) I am afraid of elevators. Also of spiders and dentists.
7) I fell on my head when I was six. I think that explains a lot about me.

I don't want to tag people who do not want to be tagged, but if you want to be tagged, you are tagged. You are tagged with one of linda sue's beautiful tags!

11 comments:

My Castle in Spain said...

i absolutely loved to read these 7 random things about you...

what amazes me is your water bottle addiction..i think i should imitate you !

would love to know your movies list..
:-)

Quail said...

7 points of interestingness. Hot water bottles certainly is an area in which the world needs innovation! Probably the best movie I saw in 2008 was "Shopgirl" which I recommend to most of my girlie friends.

Anonymous said...

that was a pretty fun and intriguing list. now i have a question - do hot water bottles stay hot for a long period of time? i mean significantly warm to make it worth it for you to carry it around for an evening?

Linda Sue said...

I can't wear finger nail polish either- I can not use anything girlie it seems...Hot water bottle! I have felted carriers for mine to take to films in indie theaters where heat is not an option. The wool keeps the water comfortably warm for hours! I also have a silk carrier for when I want to look less homeless and bedragled...The best bottles I have found are made in England, of course, where the chill will put your face in a gimace for two entire seasons.

Jesse said...

Where did you get the crocodile bottle? It's awesome! I'm addicted to them too - one under my feet while I'm working (I take my shoes off) and one on my lap. All winter. They stay warm far longer than the microwave 'bottles'. I like the idea of making a carrier for them....

Alexandra said...

Hi, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is addicted to hot water bottles :)

Anonymous said...

Travelling hot water bottles and migrating beauty spots? A little scary. How severe was that injury to your head?
However, what a brave and interesting exercise.

Anairam said...

MCIS - I keep my movies and book lists on my palmtop. I am addicted to movies, only problem is that as I watch so many, I often get confused between storylines, etc. But it helps me to switch off at the end of a day. I do re-watch movies, and so my list for 2008 contains quite a few movies I had already seen previously, but I seldom watch a movie twice in the same year.

quail - I loved Shopgirl - was that the one with Clare Danes? I think I've seen it two or three times. Do see the Band's Visit if you come across it - it is such a gentle, wonderful film!

up and down town - Mmmm, interesting question. I think it depends on a few things. The temperature (of the day I mean, not the hotwater bottle) and the situation for which the bottle is used. There are three situations for which I use hotwater bottles - 1) because I am cold 2) for general comfort and coziness 3) for pain in some specific area - e.g. tummy or lower back. For extreme cold, a hotwater bottle won't be satisfactory for a very long time, I would need to renew it at least thwo or three times in the course of an evening. But for general warmth as well as a soothing agent for aches and pains it is effective for quite a bit longer. I did an experiment when I read your question - because I wasn't sure of the answer! - and I can now say that on an average day (cool, not cold) it retains enough heat for general comfort for about 2 hours and 10 minutes - thereafter I felt that the schlep of carting it around with me from room to room outweighed the benefits - so I discarded it.

linda sue - You take yours out with you, too?? Yay!!! I think it is fantastic that you have carriers - I have often thought of making a kind of elegant pouch or something for mine, but, oh, my sewing skills are extremely limited. (Maybe I must use your "& SEW" tag as a kind of voodoo prayer card or something - and magically I will be imbued with Sewing Savvy!) Do you think it will work?

Jesse - I got it in Barrydale, at a funny little shop. It was the midst of winter and I was stuck in a B&B with NO hotwater bottle - can you believe it?

Alex - I am SO glad to hear that many others share my addiction! I was beginning to think that I was weird & would have to get treatment or something.

Anonymous - Let's just say that the effects of that fall have been lasting. Ask any member of my family ...

Denise Kiggan said...

Just love your passion for hot water bottles! I tend to feel the cold, so I understand!

Anonymous said...

i suppose while you're out, once it ceases to provide warmth, you can empty it in a sink so that it's less cumbersome.
i'm a big fan of something called a heatpack, certainly for the lower back. wish i had remembered to use one today - no back complaints, i was just cold.

Anairam said...

freshly found - I am not sure that it is a passion - to me it is more like a necessity. Maybe I must make it one of my fabric projects -to make a carrier for it ...

up and down town - Yes, emptying it helps. I must say that I do not regularly take it out with me, for the very reason that its use does not outlast a four-hour evening. Also, I like 'dressing', as you know, and a hotwater bottle looks a bit tacky. The ideal for me would be that other people also start carrying their hotwater bottles with them, and then restaurants and theatres will provide a service for filling them up again!