Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Movies, Books, Art - what more could I want?

I had a perfect day - went to see this movie ...

(There are two kinds of people - those who love Woody Allen movies, and those who don't, and I fall into the first category.)

Then visited the Book Lounge in Roeland Street (this view is from its side door), and it was indeed delicious - to the last drop ... I got a (signed - whoo hoo!) copy of Jesse's graphic short story collection - I Don't Like Chocolate (which in my case could not be further from the truth!)

It was quite hot, so we crossed the street to the Kimberley Hotel's bar. I've always wanted to go - it is a slightly seedy old-fashioned kind of bar - remember the days when females were not allowed in bars? I must say that I got a few looks when I entered, and I did not think they were the complimentary, approving kind. Suffice it to say that I was the only female customer ...

...so I kept my gaze firmly trained on the beautiful pressed ceiling as I drank my cider ...

Then off to the Goodman Gallery Cape to see the William Kentridge exhibition - (REPEAT) from the beginning - oh, oh, oh!! Magnificent, I was blown away!
It perfectly complemented his 8 film fragment installation (i am not me, the horse is not mine) which I saw a few weeks ago at the National Gallery.

And then back home where a water pipe had broken - once again ....
But what do I care? Movies, books, art - I have it all ...

7 comments:

evencleveland said...

Oh, this sounds like a perfect day.

What an excellent start to 2009.

Linda Sue said...

I would have loved to tag along! I also envy the warm weather there though I don't do well in heat I think I could handle an hour of it about now.
When i was hitching across Australia I was amazed that the bars had separate or NOT AT ALL entrances for females- I went in anyway. I'm not FEMALE I am a girl thing from america! They didn't know what to do with that so I got cold beers anyway.
Love the ceiling - I hope you took that not because you were flat on your back...

Mary-Laure said...

Thanks for taking us along for your special day.
I saw Vicky Cristina Barcelona in Cannes and just loved it.

Denise Kiggan said...

This kind of day is good for the soul!!!

Jesse said...

Looks like a lovely day! I've always wanted to go into the Kimberley Hotel - thanks for 'taking me in'. Will have to go in for real soon.

Anonymous said...

That was a very nice day for you Anairam! My most favorite film is Dr Zhivago but maybe you do not have that in your country. It is now in Birsk showing in the Teatr. Also I like the snow plowing car in your photo. Very nice. But I do think it is not winter in Africa. So, what a surprise for me to see that. It is remembering me of the Great French Poet who writes: "But where are the snow of yesterday?"

Anairam said...

stephanie - It was! And the weather was beautiful too!

linda sue - Oh, you can tag along any time! Well, virtually, at least. Unless you pack your sunscreen and hat & visit the great beauty that is Africa! (PS I laughed and laughed at your ceiling quip! Hahaha!)

Mary Laure - It was a really, really good movie, I thought! I loved Penelope Cruz in it - well, all of them! Perhaps it is good that WA is not playing the Romeo in his own movies any more, and I wondered whether he was trying to indicate that with the demise of his character in Scoop?

Freshly Found - I like to start the new year with a bang of deliciousness - because all too soon the year morphs into work and responsibilities and a certain dullness of spirit sets in ...

Jesse - Oh, you must just pop over the road next time you are at the Book Lounge. (I am SO glad I found your book there! and what a lovely place it is too, with all the nooks and crannies and that stairway and the couches and the coffee and muffins. Mmmmm! Muffins...

Svetlana - Do you know what? I have NEVER seen Dr Zhivago! I blush to admit it (and I call myself a movie freak ...) I hope you took your granny to see it (and a little bottle of vodka to keep your spirits (hahaha - that is a joke!) up. Because isn't it a very, very sad movie? Oh, by the way, that is not a snow plough, but I wish very much that it was!